1958 - 1963

DB4

The planned successor to the DB2 and its derivatives was Project 114, begun in 1952, for which engineer Harold Beach had designed the front suspension and perimeter frame. When the chassis was completed, a body designed by Frank Feeley was mounted on it, but its styling failed to pass muster. Consequently, John Wyer enlisted the help of Touring of Milan, who had built a handsome two-seater prototype on an Aston Martin chassis first shown at the Turin Motor Show in 1956.

Harold Beach was sent to Italy to work with Touring. Their ‘Superleggera’ (‘superlight’) body construction with alloy panels fixed over a tubular frame demanded a platform chassis, which Beach designed in just six weeks. Touring’s Federico Formenti penned a sleek body for the new chassis and two prototypes were built in Milan. Then the craftsmen at Newport Pagnell took over Superleggera body construction for the DB4 under licence from Touring, who supplied body jigs.

A new 3670cc six-cylinder engine was designed by Tadek Marek. The DB4 was one of the fastest cars on the road, able to go from 0 to 100 mph and back in under 30 seconds.